(8/10) This album is much more than just a live album from Lynyrd Skynyrd. This disc gives you the chance to experience a special night that took place in the Fox Theatre in Atlanta, GA on November 12, 2014.
An extraordinary collection of artists gathered to perform some of the best songs of the legendary Southern rock band. As you can see on the tracklist it has been musicians like Peter Frampton who did an awesome rockin' version of "Call me the breeze", Cheap Trick that performed the mighty "Gimme back the bullets" and it was Blackberry Smoke that paid tribute to Lynyrd Skynyrd with their version of "Working for MCA".
Those have been just three out of 16 great guest interpretations on the album. The cherry on the cake with this albums comes at the end. Lynyrd Skynyrd themself entered the stage and played three songs - their very greatest hits.
It starts with "Travellin' man". It's not only Johnny van Zant doing the vocals. He's singing the song along with an archival video of his brother Ronnie who did far too early - five very moving minutes.
"Free bird" is the next song. Lynyrd Skynyrd reminds us with this performance to all the band members that are no longer with us. It's a very soulful moment.
A Lynryd Skynryd album can't live without "Sweet homa Alabama". It's the last track played that night and it's the entire group of artist performing it. Having so many musicians on stage gave the band classic a very special touch. It was a unique interpretation, being part of a very special night.
In this review I'm only refering to the CD version. But there is a DVD/Blu-Ray version available too and I could imagine that they make this concert to an even more intesive experience. I think the title says it all - "One more for the fans".
- Whiskey rock a roller (performed by Randy Houser)
- You got that right (performed by Robert Randolpg & Jimmy Hall)
- Saturday night special (performed by Aaron Lewis)
- Working for MCA (performed by Blackberry Smoke)
- Don't ask me no questions (performed by O.A.R.)
- Gimme back the bullets (performed by Cheap Trick)
- The ballad of Curtis Loew (performed by moe & John Hiatt)
- Simple man (performed by Gov't Mule)
- That smell (performed by Warren Haynes)
- Four walls of Raiford (performed by Jamey Johnson)
- I know a little (performed by Jason Isbell)
- Call me the breeze (performed by Peter Frampton)
- What's your name (performed by Trace Adkins)
- Down South jukin' (performed by Charlie Daniels & Donnie van Zant)
- Gimme three steps (performed by Alabama)
- Tuesday's gone (performed by Gregg Allman)
- Travellin' man (performed by Lynyrd Skynyrd with Johnny and Ronnie)
- Free bird (performed by Lynyrd Skynyrd)
- Sweet home Alabama (performed by Lynryd Skynryd and the entire cast)
Genre: Southern Rock
Release date EU: July 24th, 2015