(*/10) The three amigos of ZZ Top belong the real dinosaurs in blues and rock music. The trio has so many highlights in their discography that are timeless and unique which makes i hard to decide on a setlist - I guess. The guys have, with their beards, a unique visual expression, but they also created a sound that can be directly identified as being from Billy Gibbons and Co..
Another fact that is amazing, and maybe part of ZZ Top's success, is a steady line-up that didn't change over more than 45 years. Billy Gibbons, Dusty Hill and Frank Beard - that's ZZ TOP and I guess it's this consistency that brought the trio all the achievements the reached so far in their career.
Part of ZZ Top's discography are live albums and "Best of..." releases and the question might come up why there is the need for a new one. Probably a valid remark even though I must say that the idea of recording the live album all around the world adds something extra to this release. Paris, Sao Paulo, Berlin, Dallas and Nashville are just some of the shows ZZ Top recorded with the end result of having some songs on "Live! Greatest Hits From Around the World". There is one little remark connected to this though. Since the songs have been recorded in different locations the sound differs a bit. This means on the one hand that there wasn't too much post-work done with the recordings, but it also makes it tougher for the flow of this record.
However, besides this small sidenote things are well-done. The tracklist of this album covers the wide era of ZZ Top which means that early classic like "Tush" and "La Grange" are next to the successful 80's hits "Gimme All Your Lovin" and "Sharp Dressed Man". But also "Rough Boy" recorded in London with Jeff Beck found a spot on the album and newer material such as "Tube Snake Boogie" from the "El Loco" longplayer have been added as well.
All in all "Live! Greatest Hits From Around the World" is a well done compilation of great live moments of a brilliant band. These guys still rock.
- Got Me Under Pressure (Live from New York)
- Beer Drinkers & hell Raisers (Live from Las Vegas)
- Cheap Sunglasses (Live fromParis)
- Waitin For the Bus (Live from Nashville)
- Jesus Just Left Chicago (Live from Nashville)
- Legs (Live from Sao Paulo)
- Sharp Dressed Man (Live from Los Angeles)
- Rough Boy (Live from London) (feat. Jeff Beck)
- Pincushion (Live from Berlin)
- La Grange (Live from Dallas)
- I'm Bad, I'm Nationwide (Live from Vancouver)
- Tube Snake Boogie (Live from Rome)
- Gimme All Your Lovin (Live from Houston)
- Tush (Live from Chicago)
- Sixteen Tons (Live from London (feat. Jeff Beck)
Label: Suretone Records
Genre: Blues Rock
Release Date EU: September 9th, 2016