(*/10) If you didn’t live under a rock for the last three decades the name Michael Monroe rings a bell. The charismatic singer of Hanoi Rocks started his career as part of the Finnish glam rock outfit back in the late seventies. Monroe and Hanoi Rocks have been real trailblazers for a style that was highly influential for the next generation of glam and sleaze rock bands. Groups like Guns’n’Roses wouldn’t be where they are today without having soaked up what came from Finland at that time.
In parallel and still ongoing after the final split of Hanoi Rocks, Monroe also released solo albums that haven been at least as successful as the records done with Hanoi Rocks. In total we’re talking about a 30 years solo career that was filled with excellent music, extrovert shows, great singing, a never-surrender attitude and a lot of passion for harder rock music. As a logical consequence of such a successful career a “Best of…” album helps to recall the past and give younger rock fans the chance to get a comprehensive overview of Monroe’s impressive creative achievements.
“Best of…” is an album that covers all the different aspects of Monroe’s career and comes as a well-done compilation with each of the songs going through a remastering by Svante Forsberg and Monroe himself.
The remastering isn’t the only benefit of this double header. Monroe’s passion doesn’t allow him to just refresh some existing old stuff and that was it. No way. This release comes also with some extra treats for fans – old and new. One special on the album is “It’s a Lie” which is a duet of Monroe and Dead Boys frontman Stiv Bators, a recording that was done back in 1985. Next to this pearl it’s Steppenwolf’s “Magic Carpet Ride” that also made it on this two CDs release. This version is a real beauty, coming from the “Coneheads” soundtrack session Monroe and Slash did together in 1993.
Last but not least there are previously unreleased songs on this compilation too. “Fist Fulla Dynamite” and "Simpletown” are from the “Blackout Stakes” days while with “One Foot Outta the Grave” a new tune that get out of the gates very well. This “Best of…” is a massive release, giving a great overview of Monroe’s musical life. It’s a perfectly done retrospective with a small glimpse into the future. Go for it.
- Dead, Jail Or Rock `N’ Roll
- Man With No Eyes
- It`s A Lie (Remastered) (feat. Stiv Bators)
- Nights Are So Long
- Can`t Go Home Again
- Nothin`s Alright (Remastered)
- Hammersmith Palais (Remastered)
- You Crucified Me (Remastered)
- Deadtime Stories (Remastered)
- Where`s The Fire John? (Remastered)
- Make It Go Away (Remastered)
- Life Gets You Dirty (Remastered)
- Self Destruction Blues (Remastered)
- Stranded (Remastered)
- Telephone Bills`s All Mine (Remastered)
- Trick Of The Wrist (Remastered)
- ’78 (Remastered)
- All You Need (Remastered)
- Ballad Of The Lower East Side (Remastered)
- Eighteen Angels (Remastered)
- Stained Glass Heart (Remastered)
- Old King`s Road (Remastered)
- Goin’ Down With The Ship (Remastered)
- Keep Your Eye On You (Remastered)
- One Foot Outta The Grave
- Fist Fulla Dynamite
- Get On (Remastered)
- Magic Carpet Ride (feat. Slash)
Release Date EU: June 9th, 2017